When adding new supply lines to a home or business, installers will sometimes need a copper-to-PEX transition. Traditionally, making these connections involves the use of sweat adapters.
There are, however, ways to safely and securely join the two different pipes in a fraction of the time without any hot work or mess: one of them is copper-to-PEX press transition fittings.
We’ll first give you an overview of the traditional joining method to help show the value of press adapters.
Using a Sweat Adapter to Join Copper to PEX
Sweat, or solder, adapters for copper-to-PEX come in one of two forms. There’s the female sweat adapter, which slides over a copper pipe, and the male sweat adapter, which slides into an existing copper fitting. In either case, the other end of the adapter, a barbed tube, is designed to fit into a PEX pipe.
Traditional copper-to-PEX adapter.
Because these adapters rely on soldering to establish connections with copper (a crimping tool is typically used for the PEX side), they introduce the need for consumables as well as hot work. Along with requiring a hot work permit, fire watch and heat protection measures prior to installation, the use of flame also translates into longer cleanup times once connections are made.
Why You Should Consider Using Press Adapters
Ideal for commercial or residential applications, copper-to-PEX press fittings make transitioning from one pipe to another easy.
Here’s a look at some of the copper-to-PEX benefits:
- Because no flame is required to join pipes, copper-to-PEX press fittings eliminate all of the extra steps (and safety concerns) that coincide with hot work
- With only a press tool, jaws and fitting required to join pipe, press connections eliminate the need for consumables — a cost that can add up over time
- The portable nature of a press-fit tool removes the hassle of handling heavy machines or other inconvenient materials
- Copper-to-PEX press fittings provide a more consistent connection
- With the ability to confirm proper depth, make consistent connections and eliminate the need for a go/no-go gauge, press adapters for PEX are advantageous over crimp tools
Installation of Viega press adapter.
As the only industry provider of copper-to-PEX press transition fittings — available in sizes ⅜" to 2", with multiple connection types to choose from — Viega is working to streamline the future of plumbing projects. Our system-matched tools and jaws are paired with Smart Connect® technology to create secure, consistent connections between copper and PEX pipe in seven seconds or less.
If you’d like to incorporate Viega copper-to-PEX press transition fittings into your next project, use our dealer locator to find a distributor near you.